Reflective Summary

 

The teaching practicum at St. John Paul II was indeed a very meaningful and challenging stage of my teacher development, offering me an opportunity to teach English as a Second Language to both Grade 10 and Grade 11 students following the Sri Lankan National School Curriculum. My practicum experience presented many challenges, particularly in applying theoretical knowledge in very real classroom situations and in response to curriculum demands, needs of students, and time constraints. Throughout this reflection, I took into consideration my lessons, materials, teaching methods, student reactions, and personal growth that have helped me understand my strengths and further identify areas that need extra effort.

 

In this process of reflection upon the effective and ineffective elements of my lessons, I noticed that those lessons that clearly focused on specific learning objectives were invariably the more effective. This was most practised in Grade 11 revision lessons, where students prepared for the G.C.E. Ordinary Level examination. Lessons channelled into exam-type questions, model answers, and commonly tested grammar structures buoyed their confidence and made them better prepared. On the other hand, I realized how some lessons could not have been quite effective since I tried to cover too much in the given time. Such lessons would necessarily have been rushed; little time was left for practice by students or for questions from them. A good lesson, therefore, has to prioritize the quality of understanding over syllabus coverage.

 

The lesson materials used were mainly from the prescribed textbooks and teacher-prepared worksheets. These were appropriate in terms of syllabus alignment, especially for Grade 10, since completing the final textbook units was one of the requirements. However, I found that too much reliance on the textbook-based activities sometimes resulted in passive learning. A few students who had difficulty maintaining their attention spans during long reading or writing activities did not do so well. Even though I tried to simplify the tasks and give further explanations, I realized my skills of material adaptation needed more practice. Above all, designing tasks appropriate for different proficiency levels in the same classroom proved particularly challenging. Therefore, this experience showed me how important flexibility is in using prescribed materials.

 

Looking back on the teaching methods I applied, I felt my approach tended to be teacher-centered, especially when teaching at Grade 11 classes. This was mainly because of the nature of exam-oriented lessons and the stress of fitting the preparation into a tight time frame. Direct explanation and guided practice did work to make students comprehend grammar rules and writing formats. However, I realized these methods restricted students from participating and communicating with one another. When I used short discussions in pairs or asked students to analyze answers, they seemed more involved and confident. At the same time, I also learned that student-centered methods have to be planned in detail. Group work was ineffective when instructions were unclear, as well as when students relied too much on their stronger peers, which taught me that active learning requires clear guidance and careful monitoring.

 

Student reactions to my lessons initially shaped my reflection. Generally, Grade 11 students responded well when lessons could be clearly related to examination success. The questions they asked for clarification indicated that they were motivated by practical outcomes. On the other hand, disengagement strategies like silence, limited response, or distraction flowed from tasks that were challenging or instructions that were not clear. Rather than characterizing these responses as disciplinary ones, I learned incrementally to interpret them as feedback on my teaching. These adjustments helped me modify my explanations, simplify tasks, and offer extra support when required.

 

The practicum has significantly helped my professional development, especially in the aspects of self-awareness and flexibility. At the start of the internship, I thought thorough lesson planning was all it took to be assured of successful lessons. Classroom experiences proved otherwise early in the internship, and I realized that planning may need to give way for flexibility. I learned how to adjust timing, change activities, or use different ways depending on students' responses. These experiences agree with what Schön (1983) calls reflection-in-action, where the teacher learns through responding to actual classroom situations when they occur.

 

The other main area of development concerned learning to work within institutional expectations. Teaching in a national school context involved the need to cooperate with syllabus demands, as well as the expectation of coordination with senior teachers. In some respects, this frustrated any experimental use of newer methodologies. Difficult as this might have been at the time, it certainly highlighted the pragmatic realities of school-based teaching and the need for professional cooperation. I came to realize that, for a lot of the time, effective teaching requires a balancing act between personal ideas and institutional responsibilities. Through the practicum, I also became more aware of areas needing continued development, which are improving lesson timing, adapting materials more effectively, and using student-centered strategies in exam-oriented classrooms. These items I can no longer consider failures but important learning points which will guide me in the future practice. According to Farrell (2015), reflective teaching is a continuous process supporting long-term professional development. In this respect, a teaching practicum at St. John Paul II provided a great opportunity for me to learn and empowered my knowledge of ESL teaching in a formal school context. I benefitted from reflective thinking on lesson effectiveness, utilization of materials, teaching methodology, student feedback, and professional enhancement, which all served to give me practical ideas that I would apply to future teaching. It further reiterated the need for reflection, accommodation of flexibility, and sensitivity to context as requisite ingredients for professional development; thus, this teaching experience laid a relatively strong foundation for my future development as an English language teacher.

 


References

 

Farrell, T. S. C. (2015). Promoting teacher reflection in second language education: A framework for TESOL professionals. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315733395

 

Harmer, J. (2007). How to teach English (2nd ed.). Pearson Education.

 

Richards, J. C., & Rodgers, T. S. (2014). Approaches and methods in language teaching (3rd ed.). Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511667305

 

Schön, D. A. (1983). The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action. Basic Books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Testimonials

My Teaching Philosophy